So here is another update.
When i had made the Carthaginian Cavalry, see last post, I had some Republican Roman Cavalry, that I still had not painted. I ended up giving them what I considered a pretty ordinary uniform.
The units had to be a bit smaller than i really wanted, but, I later, when they came out, painted some Italeri Republican Roman Cavalry men, to make the units a bit bigger. Of course at the time I had no idea that they would be making some.
I was more or less uninterested in Republican Romans, and used mixed units, of both republican and imperial romans. Today I have 3 massive armies of Romans. 1 Republican, 1 Imperial, and 1 late imperial.
As can be seen in the pictures, shields were hand painted, and i was beginning to experiment with making horses more than 1 color, giving some "socks" in white, and blazes. I later showed these horses to a person who knew about horses, and the "socks" it turns out where too perfect for what they would be in nature.